2/18/11

week 5: sweater

did i lose that sweater, or did it lose me?


i know that, as of late, these posts have been somewhat... downers, and self-indulgent, but it's just what i have been working through lately.

also, i know that i have been posting "late in the game" as it were, i seem to be stuck here at home i i tend to be more creative when i get out of the house.

when i saw this prompt i immediately had this concept, it took me a week to articulate it and even now i don't think that i did it justice.

that said.

when i was in high school there was this band, an indy band that had a blue album.

and later many others.

and on that album was a song called undone (the sweater song)

so what is a sweater?

it's warmth,
comfort,
it's something that protects you from the environment.

it is, in fact, a shield.

and in the case of that particular song it is a woman, or in a broader (no pun intended) a relationship.

now i know that i have said, in the past, that we are nothing more than a collection of our experiences, but i am, at times, a hypocryte.

i have had to burn many "sweaters" in order to move on.

i know of exes that still hang pictures of "us" in her cubicle long after i have burnt anything that reminds me of the time we spent together.

and people think that i am odd not wanting my picture taken, perhaps i am...

i once said here that i can only remember relationships in terms of music... that is not entirely accurate.

it can, at least for me, be measured in what i was wearing at the time, i love sweaters, i lived in sf too long to not love layers.

and as part of the "moving on" process, the whole, "if she leaves you, and it was of her era, it's dead to me" thing, i have lost more than a few really nice sweaters.

s'funny, i think that sometimes i actually miss those cotton hoodies more than them.

but then again, i'm probably lying to myself.

weezer: undone (the sweater song) (and then with additions from sonic youth)

And each of you is a reminder to the earth and what it is capable of. You all the reason rational, lackadaisical, irrational. You are the ceaseless sieges on the city of joy. The reason Agamemnon went to troy. Base your self at the knees of yourself, intelligence is not a discipline, it is an experience. Allow it to explode. Destroy buildings I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. Did I lose that sweater, or did it lose me?

Im me
Me be
Goddamn
I am
I can
Sing and
Hear me
Know me
If you want to destroy my sweater
Hold this thread as I walk away

And language was invented so people could lie, don’t just say I love you let your love perspire and fly. It is the most profound gymnastics and incredible calisthenics. Let me pole vault you let me cartwheel into your beauty in an ideal love affair. We never had to say I love you…stutter first and by the way, I love you.

Oh no
It go
It gone
Bye-bye
Who i
I think
I sink
And I die
if you want to destroy my sweater
Hold this thread as I walk away
Watch me unravel Ill soon be naked
Lying on the floor, Ive come undone

if you want to destroy my sweater
Hold this thread as I walk away
Watch me unravel Ill soon be naked
Lying on the floor, Ive come undone


If you want to destroy my sweater
(I dont want to destroy your tank-top)
Hold this thread as I walk away
(lets be friends and just walk away)
Watch me unravel Ill soon be naked
(hate you see you lyin there in your superman skivvies)
Lying on the floor, Ive come undone

sweaters that are loneliness which is a delusion, sweaters that emasculate creating confusion, a giant repression, nothing is so precious sweater of lycra, sweaters of spandex: we don't need them. sweater of knit wear creating the reason that Cesar went to Gaul we don't need the sweater, walk through the sweater
the sweater that murders, the sweater that takes over our lives and remind us that we don't like the way we walk. the sweater, walk through the sweater Apocalypse and find your own warmth.

1 comment:

chelsey said...

my first thought was the sweater song too! great minds think alike